At Hillborough Infant and Nursery School, our children are SCIENTISTS!
Our intent is to provide every child with a high quality, broad and balanced Science curriculum which enables them to confidently explore and discover what is around them, so that they have a deeper understanding of the world we live in.
In line with the Early Years Foundation Stage and the National Curriculum, our teaching is focused on developing pupils' knowledge and understanding and encouraging the development of key scientific skills. Children begin to use their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions before gathering and recording data to help them when answering questions. Practical opportunities are encouraged to ensure that scientific skills and knowledge are experienced through observing, predicting, estimating, enquiry, testing, comparing, experimenting, investigating, problem-solving and collaborating.
- A clear and comprehensive scheme of work in line with the National Curriculum where teaching and learning should show progression across EYFS to key stage 1 within the strands of Science.
- Children have access to key language and meanings to understand and readily apply to their written, mathematical, and verbal communication of their skills.
- Children will use a range of resources to develop their knowledge and understanding that is integral to their learning and develop their understanding of working scientifically.
- Children will be able to build on prior knowledge and link ideas together, enabling them to question and become enquiry-based learners.
- Children will reflect on previous learning and cross curricular links will be made wherever possible
- Attainment will be assessed each half-term through related topic assessment tasks
- Effective CPD and standardisation opportunities are available to staff to ensure high levels of confidence and knowledge are maintained.
- Most children will achieve age related expectations in Science at the end of their cohort year.
- Children will retain knowledge that is pertinent to Science with a real-life context.
- Children will be able to question ideas and reflect on knowledge.
- Children will work collaboratively and practically to investigate and experiment.
- Children will be able to explain the process they have taken and be able to reason scientifically.